Sunday, February 13, 2011

Aurora


Aurora
Originally uploaded by benjeev
Weekend Showcase

Spent a week in the Arctic Circle in Norway, specifically to see the Northern Lights and boy were they spectacular! We had cloud cover for most of the week and it was a bit hit and miss. I was beginning to think we were never going to see them but on the very last day, we struck gold!

It was very faint for most of the night (we spent almost 2hours outside in -20deg temperatures) but for a period of about 2mins, it went ballistic, which is when I shot this.

It was rather interesting shooting in such cold weather. After about 20mins, my camera lcd screens slowed down to the point where they were almost unusable so I pretty much had to get the settings right at the beginning and then hope and pray it works. Also, my tripod became almost impossible to adjust. It must have been something to do with the metal shrinking or something because the legs and handles became so stiff.

Norway's such an amazing place, I think we'll be heading back sooner rather than later.

Needs more noise work (my camera really doesn't handle noise too well) but I'm rather tired of looking at it now so this will have to do ;)

Enjoy!

benjeev

Thank you for sharing this image and story with us in the weekend showcase benjeev. Well done!

No comments: